7 Reasons Why You Should Sign Up for Performance Driving School
Performance driving school seems like a place designed solely for an aspiring race car driver, perhaps the next Lewis Hamilton or Ty Dillon, hoping to win a grand prix someday.
So you may think it’s pointless for an average citizen to attend performance driving schools. After all, it doesn’t take the godlike talent needed to speed 300 km/h around a racetrack to get to a grocery store.
Regardless, schools that teach performance driving can benefit you as a motorist in virtually all aspects of driving. These “academies” could in fact give you superhuman driving skills that’ll make you an object of envy.
Two Different Beasts
First off, we have to make a distinction between your local driving school and a performance driving school far out in the fields of Nowhereland. They’re not synonymous. Although both refine your driving skills, they work at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Your average driving school focuses on establishing basic skills, and it’s often necessary for new drivers to undertake. On the other hand, performance driving schools focus on amplifying the skills you should already possess. Think of it this way: driving school turns you into a competent driver, while performance school turns you into a polished driver.
How they differ
|Regular Driving School||Performance Driving School|
A Look at BMW’s Performance Driving SchoolAlthough the students coming out of either school will have different experiences, both share similarities.
What they share
|Driving Schools/Performance Schools|
Taking NotesUpon entering a performance driving school, you’re going to practice skills that the average driver is most likely unaware of. In fact, what you’ll learn will change the way you see driving and the manner in which you interact with your vehicle.If you ever wanted to learn tricks you wouldn’t find in the driver’s handbook, then going to a school for performance driving will feel like finding treasure at the bottom of an ocean.Many of these skillsets are the kind of stuff only auto racing aficionados and car junkies talk about. However, they’re not reserved to these folks, and the average person can not only learn these skills, but master them if they’re willing to put forth the effort.
Typical Course Curriculum at Performance Driving Schools
|Car control and handling||Involves lessons that train drivers to relearn basic maneuvering skills for maximum performance|
|Racing techniques||Techniques designed to acquaint drivers with the basics of auto racing|
|Road safety & efficiency||Instruction on road safety for various types of terrain, surfaces and conditions|
|Car technology||Refreshers on car technology and how to use them to improve driving performance|
What’s the Point of Performance Driving School Anyway?A driving school for performance no doubt seems like the best place to learn how to race. But you’re probably asking, “what the heck will it do for me?” After all, you’re not drifting or doing circuits in the middle of the city (at least we’d hope you’re not).At first, it may seem like the kind of stuff you’d say is a waste of time, perhaps, like how some view knitting. The ability to sew a hat or sweater may seem useless until you realize someone makes a killing by selling their own hand-knitted items on Ebay or Etsy.Likewise, some of those “niche” driving skills that only seem practical on a racetrack come in handy for non-standard driving experiences as well as everyday driving situations. In fact, there are several benefits that come with learning what a race car driver knows.
The Benefits of Performance Driving School
- Better control of your vehicle - You’ll learn the best position for steering, the best methods for braking and the best techniques for shifting. As a result, you’ll learn how to handle your vehicle with more finesse than the average driver.
- Slow down wear-and-tear - Here’s a side benefit of the point mentioned above - less wear-and-tear. Few people realize that “driving a car to the ground” often occurs when drivers don’t know how to handle their vehicles smoothly. You can avoid the premature breakdown of car components by learning how to drive more efficiently.
- Sharper cognition - There’s no such thing as highway hypnosis while ripping down a race track. Performance driving forces you to use senses and think fast while behind the wheel, putting you in a state of heightened awareness. That same conditioning serves you well for daily driving since it gets you in the habit of focusing on the road and your surroundings.
- Elevated awareness of driving physics - Racing instructors spend a lot of time teaching students about racing lines and steering around tight corners. Since you’ll weave around tracks that feature all sorts of loops and contortions, you’ll get acquainted with various types of turns and know how they should “feel” before you even complete them.
- Ability to drive in virtually all conditions - Typical driving instruction says things like “drive carefully” in snow or avoid driving in deep water. Performance driving schools dish out practical and hands-on training that actually puts you in the trenches, so that no road surface or weather condition intimidates you.
- Turn into a safer driver - Don’t believe the hype - faster drivers aren’t necessarily more dangerous. And remember too that racers are arguably the best motorists in the world despite reaching unreal speeds. The techniques taught at performance driving school enforce total concentration, defensive driving and smooth steering, all of which promote safety on the roads.
- Beginnings of auto racing skills - Let’s be honest here: almost all of us have fantasized about (legally) racing cars before. And performance driving schools teach the skills needed for it. Assuming you want to race on an actual race track, attending one of these schools gets you prepped for the experience.